Hamel Down Cross, Widecombe in the Moor, Dartmoor National Park

Hamel Down Cross, Widecombe in the Moor, Dartmoor National Park

In his 'Guide to Dartmoor', William Crossing notes that 'Hameldon Cross consists of a granite slab rather over four feet in height and about two feet in width, rudely fashioned into the form of the sacred symbol, and probably has never served any other purpose than that of a boundary stone. Like other manorial bondmarks on this hill it bears its name (or rather, in this instance, the initials of its name) and takes the letters D.S., which stand for Duke of Somerset, the former owner of Natsworthy, and the date 1854, in which year the marks were set up or renewed'.