Lydford St Petroc's Church, Lydford, Dartmoor National Park

Lydford St Petroc's Church, Lydford, Dartmoor National Park

An information card in the church reads:

'The Saxon wood and thatch church was built about 650AD and was destroyed by the Viking invaders in 997AD. The pre-Norman Font remains from this early church. The church was rebuilt in stone and is recorded in July 1237 in the reign of Henry III when the right to tithes from Dartmoor was awarded. The church was extended by adding the South Aisle and the porch in 1260 to accommodate the increasing population of Lydford Parish which included most of Dartmoor. It was rededicated by Bishop Bronscombe in 1261. In 1450 the Tower was added. After that the church remained structurally the same for the next 400 years.'